INSTANT COFFEE FAQ
IN SHORT - PREPARE TO BE SURPRISED AND DELIGHTED.
YES, IT’S INSTANT, BUT NOT AS YOU KNOW IT.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST PER SERVE?
- $1.75 per serve for the Jar
- $2.60 per serve for the Sachet pack
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT FROM A CUP OF RR INSTANT?
- You’re probably not going to swap your lines in the book at your local RR for a jar of our instant, but it’s a tasty and convenient compromise.
- It will taste rich and delicious, closer to what you’d expect from a stovetop Moka pot than the age-old instant we love to hate.
- If you don't know your brew ratio from your backside, this brew is for you.
- Forget worrying about if you’re over or under-extracting, we’ve dialled the extraction and brew, you just need to stir and sip.
WHY DOES IT COST MORE THAN THE SUPERMARKET STUFF?
- We use the same quality coffee that goes into every cup served in our stores
- A small amount goes a long way, just 3g is the equivalent of a standard shot
- We’ve taken the extra brew steps, including carefully brewing and extracting the very best from our blend, evaporating and freeze-drying at peak freshness then packing. This is where the extra cost comes in.
- A jar is 20 servings, so it's a similar equivalent amount of espresso doses in a 500g bag of beans.
WHY SHOULD I BUY THIS OVER THE CHEAPER SUPERMARKET STUFF?
- We’re comparing apples with oranges here, it really is a totally different product
- Our instant uses specialty green beans, our Brown Lightning blend to be exact. Most of the instant coffee producers you find in the supermarket use low-quality beans, often of the Robusta variety which might be bold, but are definitely not tasty.
- The brewing/extraction process is worlds apart. We’ve dialled the extraction to capture the best out of our brew.
- Our instant is 100% coffee, there are no fillers to fluff it up and make it appear more substantial. You’ll also notice on the cheap instant they often don’t have a recommended serving size and you have to jam a lot in to get any flavour.
- Trust us, you’ll taste the difference.
HOW IS IT MADE?
- The coffee is roasted and blended by us, the same blend as our flagship espresso blend Brown Lightning
- It's all processed locally in NZ in partnership with the good guys at NewGround
- The coffee is carefully ground and brewed, the water is slowly evaporated to not burn or compromise flavour.
- It’s freeze-dried locally, little-known fact is that NZ produces some of the best freeze-dying equipment in the world.
HOW MUCH DO I USE?
- The small container isn’t because we’re being frugal, this stuff is potent! We recommend 3g per serving, which is only a teeny teaspoon, but adjust to your tastes.
WHO/WHAT IS IT FOR?
- Tuck some in your suitcase for your next OE
- Take them camping or tramping to keep your pack light
- Leave one on your desk or on the workshop bench
- On the boat for your fishing trips
- In the car for roadies or after a surf
- Leave a sachet in your wallet in case of emergencies.
- Great gift for the adventurer
- Perfect gift for the coffee-loving tired new parent
HOW CAN YOU USE IT?
- However you like! Hot or cold, milk or water.
- We find it mixes best into hot water, you can make a slurry with hot then add the milk/water of your choice.
- Mix with hot milk to get pretty darn close to a flat white.
- Makes a tasty milk-based iced coffee
- Use in place of espresso in your favourite coffee cocktails
- Add to baking recipes
WHAT IS THE STAFF PRICE?
WHERE IS IT MADE?
- Right here in NZ
- Roasted by us and produced by a trusted partner
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
- We’re sure the guys at NASA would agree that this is space food, so it will last a long time. Once packets/jars are open however they are exposed to air and can soak up moisture and solidify We recommend it to be used in 6-8 weeks, but if it crusts up a bit it's still good!
BENEFITS OF INSTANT?
- Great coffee made easy
- Consistent, tasty brewing every time
- No equipment needed
- Long shelf life
- Travel friendly
- If your kid is old enough to boil a jug, they can now make you a great cup of RR.
- Your new backpack barista